The Day a Museum Changed My Perspective -- -------with less than 3 min Pre-video
Hello!!! Here is the link to my Pre- video Uploading or inserting video here has been unsuccessful.
UbWm8AqxtAJjxHo44JZNt.1034.IRZXSOY.mp4
Scroll down for a recommended link to view the first British Museum.
Museums serve as
custodians of heritage, offering opportunities for learning, exploration, and
inspiration. Museums provide opportunities for informal
education, where learning happens through exploration rather
than structured lessons. Museums often house artifacts, documents, and art that
reflect the histories of different racial and ethnic groups.
Racial studies have not been a
prominent or widely discussed topic in Nigeria. Although my graduate program in
curriculum theory has exposed me to various discourses, sparking my interest in
areas such as race, gender, sexuality, religion, and the apolitical
perspectives within the curriculum. Nonetheless, I believe the concept of race remains a highly
controversial topic within the field of education.
As an African and Nigerian now schooling in
the United States, my perspective on racial studies, anti-racism, and blackness
used to be markedly different. I once believed that these conversations should
fade into the background so that the wounds of African slavery could heal
naturally. You can read the Seven Steps to Combatting “Critical Theory” in
the Classroom by Jonathan Butcher and Lindsey M. Burke. It is an example
of literature that advocates against promoting race-focused curricula. (see
reference below) they believe that such curricula, particularly those
influenced by Critical Race Theory (CRT) and Critical Pedagogy, emphasize
division rather than unity, this comes with the understanding that framing
race-focused curricula, tends to categorize individuals into groups of “oppressors"
and "victims," which they view as counterproductive. Somehow, these
views influenced my thinking and judgment about racial discourses. In my mind,
the constant focus on race was holding society back from unity and progress.
However, a visit to the African
American Museum in Michigan on 12 October 2024 profoundly reshaped my
understanding. It wasn’t just an ordinary visit, yes!! It was a journey that
challenged me, moved me, and ultimately transformed my outlook as a scholar, a
professional, and a person.
When I entered the museum, I
expected the usual: exhibits and artifacts recounting the past as if they had
always been the usual back in the day in my country. (of course, as an educator who has passed
through teacher training college one show of mastery is to recount and
constantly recall the historical perspective of education, where the slave
-trade is taught in bits). But what I encountered was a vivid and
unflinching narrative of what it meant to be Black in the era of slavery and
beyond. The stories, artifacts, and interactive displays brought me
face-to-face with the harsh realities endured by our ancestors. (Thanks to the museum docent, she was so
professional, a great Museum educator)
One particularly moving exhibit featured the tools of oppression----chains
and whips, juxtaposed against the indomitable spirit of enslaved Africans, who found ways to resist and preserve their humanity. I remember standing before a timeline chronicling the transatlantic slave trade. It went beyond statistics, revealing the lives stolen, the women raped and stripped of their dignity, the men relentlessly tortured, the families torn apart, and the cultures violently suppressed. A lump formed in my throat as I imagined the faces behind those numbers of people who could have been my ancestors. I cried throughout the exhibit, and I noticed my instructor, a professor who went on this trip was teary-eyed π’It was a profoundly sorrowful moment. It was at this juncture that I understood what it meant to be called “Black” if you live abroad, and coming from the horrifying music and background sound it appeared like the sun was not going to rise again. But as the saying goes in my book of faith which is the “BIBLE” we know that joy comes in the morning.The
sun appeared like it had begun to
show its beautiful smile, yes! At this point, I found the museum’s exhibits
highlighted icons of resistance and resilience, from Frederick Douglass and
William Webb, Radical John plantations, Fredericksburg, to the tragic legacies
of Jim Crow and Plessy v. Ferguson. For instance, figures like Frederick
Douglass, who championed
education as a tool for freedom, remind us that knowledge has always
been a radical act of resistance for the oppressed. The exhibits celebrated a
legacy of strength and creativity in the face of adversity.
Leaving the museum that day, I felt
a shift. I realized that avoiding conversations, and teachings about race does
not foster unity, rather it allows misinformation to persist. Understanding our
history, no matter how painful is essential to dismantling the structures of
racism and building a curriculum that promotes equity, justice, and inclusion.
As someone deeply interested in DEI and informal education this experience greatly
influenced me as a scholar and as a person, shaping my commitment to fostering
meaningful dialogue and transformative education. I would say that it has influenced
my scholarly and professional pursuits.
To this end, I am certain I can
boldly advocate for integrating anti-racism and racial studies into the
curriculum. Museums like the one I visited serve as powerful educational tools
that contextualize history and encourage critical reflection. They are not just
repositories of artifacts but spaces of learning, dialogue, and healing.
On a personal level, the visit
reignited my pride in my identity as an African and a member of the Black
diaspora. I can also say that It has reinforced my responsibility to contribute
to the global movement for justice and equality, not just as a spectator but as
an active participant.
And yes!! Let me re-educate you. Yes, you! reading this post perhaps you are hesitant about engaging with racial studies, I encourage you to visit a museum like this one. It will reshape your understanding. For me, it was not just a visit but a transformative experience that continues to guide my journey as a scholar, a professional, and a human being.
Perhaps you need to remember!!!! Museums are vibrant
educational spaces that go beyond traditional classroom boundaries, offering
rich, immersive, and interactive learning experiences for people of all ages.
Thank you.
Below is a recommended link for the first British Museum.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFyclw2pfv0
Comments
Post a Comment